I am Dr. Marina Corral, dermatologist and you can find me at Hospital Universitari Sagrat Cor in Barcelona.
Body radiofrequency is a non-invasive technique that has gained popularity in the treatment of cellulite and sagging. This procedure uses radiofrequency energy to heat the deep layers of the skin, stimulating collagen production, improving circulation and promoting the reduction of accumulated fat.
In this blog, I explain what body radiofrequency is, why cellulite and sagging occur, how to prevent them and how radiofrequency can be an effective treatment at home.
¿Why cellulite and sagging occur?
Although there are different types of cellulite, the main cause is due to the accumulation of adipose tissue, that is, accumulation of fat along with fluid retention in the superficial layers of the skin.
On the other hand, sagging, occurs due to decreased production of collagen and elastin, which are responsible for maintaining the firmness and elasticity of the skin.
In both cases, factors such as genetics, aging, a sedentary lifestyle and hormonal changes contribute to the appearance of these conditions.
¿What is body radiofrequency and why is it of choice in certain pathologies??Body radiofrequency is an aesthetic technique that uses radiofrequency energy to heat the deeper layers of the skin. This stimulates collagen production, improves blood and lymph circulation, and promotes fat reduction and improved skin appearance. Body radiofrequency has been used successfully in the treatment of cellulite and sagging, providing visible and long-lasting results.
By applying body radiofrequency to problem areas, such as thighs, abdomen, buttocks or arms, a series of beneficial effects occur:
- Collagen and elastin stimulation: The controlled heating of the tissues stimulates the cells that produce collagen and elastin, promoting their production and improving the structure and elasticity of the skin. This leads to a reduction in the appearance of cellulite and an improvement in the firmness of the skin, reducing sagging.
- Improved blood and lymph circulation: Body radiofrequency also helps improve blood and lymph circulation in the treated areas. This facilitates the elimination of toxins and the drainage of accumulated fluids, which helps reduce fluid retention and the appearance of cellulite.
- Reduction of localized fat: Radiofrequency energy applied to fat layers causes a breakdown of adipose cells and subsequent metabolism of the released lipids. This contributes to a reduction in localized fat accumulation and a decrease in the volume of the treated areas.
- Skin firming: Body radiofrequency helps tighten and firm the skin, improving its texture and smoothing the appearance of sagging. This is especially beneficial in areas where the skin may have lost its elasticity, such as the abdomen or arms.
To know about body radiofrequency, Masderm explains it to you on its blog Body radiofrequency at home.
¿Cellulite and sagging can be prevented or avoided?Although they cannot be completely prevented, There are different measures that can help prevent or reduce both cellulite and sagging. The appearance of both can be influenced by various factors, such as genetics, lifestyle and aging.
So here I give you some additional tips to prevent and avoid cellulite and sagging:
- Maintain a balanced diet: A healthy and balanced diet is essential to maintain skin health and prevent excessive oil accumulation. Prioritize foods rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, such as fruits and vegetables, and avoid excessive consumption of processed foods and saturated fats. It is also important to stay well hydrated, drinking enough water every day.
- Do physical activity regularly: Regular exercise helps strengthen muscles and improve circulation, which can help reduce cellulite and sagging. Incorporate cardiovascular activities, such as running, swimming or brisk walking, as well as muscle toning and strengthening exercises. Pay special attention to areas prone to cellulite and sagging, such as the thighs, abdomen, and arms.
- Avoid tobacco and excessive alcohol: Tobacco and alcohol use can negatively affect skin health. Tobacco reduces blood circulation and decreases collagen production, which can worsen the appearance of cellulite and sagging. Alcohol, for its part, can dehydrate the skin and contribute to loss of elasticity.
- Wear comfortable and appropriate clothing: Tight clothing or clothing with very tight elastics can hinder blood and lymphatic circulation, which can contribute to the appearance of cellulite and accentuate sagging. Opt for comfortable clothing and avoid clothing that limits movement or causes excessive compression in problem areas.
- Maintain a stable weight: Sudden weight changes can affect the elasticity of the skin and contribute to the formation of cellulite and sagging. If you are looking to lose weight, do it gradually and healthily, combining a proper diet with regular exercise. Maintaining a stable, healthy weight can help prevent and reduce the occurrence of these conditions.
- Use appropriate cosmetic products: In addition to the tips that I have mentioned, the use of specific cosmetic products can complement the treatment of cellulite and sagging. Look for products that contain active ingredients such as caffeine, retinol, centella asiatica, or hyaluronic acid. These ingredients can help stimulate circulation, improve skin texture, and increase collagen production.
¿Why use body radiofrequency to treat them??
Body radiofrequency works by heating the deepest layers of the skin without damaging the epidermis. This heat stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, improving the appearance of the skin and reducing cellulite and sagging.
- It improves skin texture: Radiofrequency heats the layers of the skin, smoothing the appearance of cellulite skin. By stimulating collagen and elastin production, it reduces the appearance of dimples associated with cellulite.
- Promotes lipolysis- Radiofrequency can also break down fat cells by increasing heat in the underlying layers. This promotes lipolysis, the process by which fat cells are broken down and eliminated from the body.
- Improves blood flow: Improves blood circulation in treated areas. This is beneficial for cellulite as it promotes a better supply of oxygen and nutrients to the tissues by stimulating the metabolism of fat cells.
- Stimulates lymphatic drainage: Radiofrequency also improves lymphatic drainage. So it helps eliminate accumulated fluids and toxins that can contribute to the appearance of cellulite.
Treatment of sagging
- It stimulates collagen production: Stimulates fibroblasts, the cells responsible for producing collagen, which helps increase the quantity and quality of collagen in the skin. The new collagen produced improves the firmness and elasticity of the skin, reducing the appearance of sagging.
- Contraction of existing collagen fibers: This contraction of collagen fibers helps improve the firmness and overall appearance of the skin.
- Stimulates elastin production: Like collagen, elastin production decreases with age, which can contribute to loss of firmness and sagging. Radiofrequency also stimulates elastin production, which helps improve skin elasticity and firmness.
- Improves circulation and lymphatic drainage: Helps improve blood circulation and lymphatic drainage in the skin. This facilitates the delivery of essential nutrients to the skin cells and the elimination of toxins and metabolic wastes. Better circulation and lymphatic drainage promote healthier, firmer skin.
And if you want to know more about sagging, Masderm deals with some topics in depth so that you can deal with it in the best way, in blogs such as: How to eliminate flaccidity in the abdomen either How to eliminate sagging legs.
Tips to maximize results
To treat cellulite, I recommend that you use products that contain ingredients such as caffeine, among others.. These ingredients help stimulate circulation and promote the breakdown of accumulated fat.
Like for example the RF Body Slim anti-cellulite cream of Masderm that contains:
- Caffeine: Helps improve blood circulation and promote lipolysis, which helps reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Spirulina: Contributes to improving the appearance of skin affected by cellulite. Its detoxifying and anti-inflammatory properties help reduce fluid retention and promote a smoother, firmer appearance of the skin.
- soy isoflavone: Helps stimulate blood circulation and improve skin elasticity. In addition, its antioxidant properties help protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals and promote cell regeneration.
To treat sagging, I recommend that you use products that contain firming and draining ingredients.
Like for example the RF Body Firming firming cream from Masderm that contains:
- Horse tail which has astringent properties, firming effect and antioxidant action among several others.
- Fucus that stimulates metabolism and helps firming due to its toning properties
- Asiatic spark which stimulates collagen production, has anti-inflammatory properties and helps promote skin healing and regeneration, which can be beneficial in treating sagging caused by damage or injury.
If you also want to obtain faster results, I recommend that you use specific conductive creams to treat sagging/cellulite, complementing it with Radiofrequency devices for use at home. Masderm offers a complete treatment with effective creams and an effective, comfortable home use device with good results. Of course, remember that there is no point in carrying out a treatment of these characteristics if you are not first clear that consistency, a balanced diet and regular exercise are essential.