I am Dr. Marina Corral, a dermatologist and you can find me at Hospital Universitari Sagrat Cor in Barcelona.
Body radiofrequency is a non-invasive technique that has gained popularity in the treatment of cellulite and flaccidity. This procedure uses radiofrequency energy to heat the deep layers of the skin, stimulating collagen production, improving circulation and promoting the reduction of accumulated fat.
In this blog, I explain what body radiofrequency is, why cellulite and flaccidity occur, how to prevent them and how radiofrequency can be an effective treatment at home.
¿Why cellulite and flaccidity occur?
Although there are different kinds of cellulite, the main cause is due to the accumulation of adipose tissue, that is, accumulation of fat along with fluid retention in the superficial layers of the skin.
On the other hand, flaccidity, occurs due to decreased production of collagen and elastin, which are responsible for maintaining the firmness and elasticity of the skin.
In both cases, factors such as genetics, aging, a sedentary lifestyle, and hormonal changes contribute to the appearance of these conditions.
¿What is body radiofrequency and why is it of choice in certain pathologies??Body radiofrequency is an aesthetic technique that uses radiofrequency energy to heat the deepest layers of the skin. This stimulates collagen production, improves blood and lymphatic circulation, and promotes fat reduction and improved skin appearance. Body radiofrequency has been used successfully in the treatment of cellulite and flaccidity, providing visible and long-lasting results.
By applying body radiofrequency to problem areas, such as thighs, abdomen, buttocks or arms, a series of beneficial effects are produced:
- Collagen and elastin stimulation: The controlled heating of the tissues stimulates the cells that produce collagen and elastin, promoting their production and improving the structure and elasticity of the skin. This leads to a reduction in the appearance of cellulite and an improvement in the firmness of the skin, reducing flaccidity.
- Improvement of blood and lymphatic circulation: Body radiofrequency also helps to improve blood and lymphatic circulation in the treated areas. This facilitates the elimination of toxins and the drainage of accumulated fluids, which contributes to reducing fluid retention and the appearance of cellulite.
- Localized fat reduction: The radiofrequency energy applied to the fat layers causes a rupture of the adipose cells and a subsequent metabolism of the released lipids. This contributes to a reduction in the accumulation of localized fat and a decrease in the volume of the treated areas.
- Skin firming: Body radiofrequency helps tighten and firm the skin, improving its texture and softening the appearance of sagging. This is especially beneficial in areas where the skin may have lost its elasticity, such as the abdomen or arms.
To learn about body radiofrequency, Masderm explains it to you on his blog body radiofrequency at home.
¿Cellulite and sagging can be prevented or avoided?Although they cannot be completely prevented, There are different measures that can help prevent or reduce both cellulite and flaccidity. The appearance of both can be influenced by various factors, such as genetics, lifestyle and aging.
So here I give you some additional tips to prevent and avoid cellulite and flaccidity:
- Maintain a balanced diet: A healthy and balanced diet is essential to maintain skin health and prevent excessive accumulation of fat. Prioritize foods rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, such as fruits and vegetables, and avoid excessive consumption of processed foods and saturated fats. It is also important to stay well hydrated by drinking enough water every day.
- Get regular physical activity: Regular exercise helps strengthen muscles and improve circulation, which can help reduce cellulite and flab. Incorporate cardiovascular activities, such as running, swimming, or brisk walking, as well as muscle toning and strengthening exercises. Pay special attention to areas prone to cellulite and sagging, such as the thighs, abdomen, and arms.
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol in excess: Tobacco and alcohol use can negatively affect skin health. Tobacco reduces blood circulation and decreases collagen production, which can worsen the appearance of cellulite and sagging. Alcohol, for its part, can dehydrate the skin and contribute to a loss of elasticity.
- Wear comfortable and appropriate clothing: Tight clothing or very tight elastics can hinder blood and lymphatic circulation, which can contribute to the appearance of cellulite and accentuate flaccidity. Opt for comfortable clothing and avoid clothing that restricts movement or causes excessive compression in problem areas.
- Maintain a stable weight: Sudden changes in weight can affect the elasticity of the skin and contribute to the formation of cellulite and sagging. If you are looking to lose weight, do it gradually and in a healthy way, combining a proper diet with regular exercise. Maintaining a stable and healthy weight can help prevent and reduce the onset of these conditions.
- Use suitable cosmetic products: In addition to the advice that I have mentioned, the use of specific cosmetic products can complement the treatment of cellulite and flaccidity. Look for products that contain active ingredients like caffeine, retinol, gotu kola, or hyaluronic acid. These ingredients can help stimulate circulation, improve skin texture, and increase collagen production.
¿Why use body radiofrequency to treat them?
Body radiofrequency works by heating the deeper layers of the skin without damaging the epidermis. This heat stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, improving the appearance of the skin and reducing cellulite and sagging.
- It improves skin texture: Radiofrequency heats the layers of the skin, smoothing the appearance of cellulite skin. By stimulating collagen and elastin production, it reduces the appearance of dimpling associated with cellulite.
- Promotes lipolysis: Radio frequency can also break down fat cells by increasing heat in the underlying layers. This promotes lipolysis, the process by which fat cells are broken down and removed from the body.
- Improves blood flow: Improves blood circulation in the treated areas. This is beneficial for cellulite, as it promotes a better supply of oxygen and nutrients to the tissues by stimulating the metabolism of fat cells.
- Stimulates lymphatic drainage: Radiofrequency also improves lymphatic drainage. So it helps to eliminate accumulated fluids and toxins that can contribute to the appearance of cellulite.
- It stimulates collagen production: Stimulates fibroblasts, the cells responsible for producing collagen, helping to increase the quantity and quality of collagen in the skin. The new collagen produced improves the firmness and elasticity of the skin, reducing the appearance of sagging.
- Contraction of existing collagen fibers: This contraction of collagen fibers helps improve the firmness and overall appearance of the skin.
- Stimulates elastin production: Like collagen, elastin production declines with age, which can contribute to loss of firmness and sagging. Radiofrequency also stimulates elastin production, which helps improve skin elasticity and firmness.
- Improves circulation and lymphatic drainage: Helps improve blood circulation and lymphatic drainage in the skin. This facilitates the supply of essential nutrients to skin cells and the removal of toxins and metabolic waste. Better circulation and lymphatic drainage promote healthier, firmer skin.
And if you want to know more about flaccidity, Masderm deals with some in-depth topics so that you can deal with it in the best way, in blogs such as: How to eliminate flaccidity in the abdomen either How to get rid of sagging legs.
Tips to Maximize Results
To treat cellulite, I recommend that you use products that contain ingredients such as caffeine, among others.. These ingredients help stimulate circulation and promote the breakdown of stored fat.
Like for example the RF Body Slim anti-cellulite cream of Masderm containing:
- Caffeine: Helps improve blood circulation and promote lipolysis, which helps reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- spirulina: Contributes to improve the appearance of skin affected by cellulite. Its detoxifying and anti-inflammatory properties help reduce fluid retention and promote a smoother, firmer appearance to the skin.
- Ginseng: Helps stimulate blood circulation and improve skin elasticity. In addition, its antioxidant properties help protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals and promote cell regeneration.
To treat flaccidity, I recommend that you use products that contain firming and draining ingredients.
Like for example the RF Body Firming firming cream from Masderm containing:
- Horse tail which has astringent properties, firming effect and antioxidant action among several others.
- fucus that stimulates the metabolism and helps to reaffirm due to its toning properties
- Asiatic spark which stimulates collagen production, has anti-inflammatory properties, and helps promote skin healing and regeneration, which can be beneficial in treating sagging caused by damage or injury.
If you also want to obtain faster results, I recommend that you use specific conductive creams to treat flaccidity/cellulite, complementing it with Radiofrequency devices for use at home. Masderm offers a complete treatment with effective creams and a device for use at home that is effective, comfortable and with good results. Of course, remember that it is useless to carry out a treatment of these characteristics if before you are not clear that perseverance, a balanced diet and regular exercise are essential.