Dr. Anna Estapé. Pediatrician
My name is Anna Estape, I am a mother at heart and a pediatrician by vocation.
I accompany families in the growth of their little ones and take care of the most valuable thing in their lives, the health of their children, with care and without haste.
¿stretch marks in adolescence?
The appearance of stretch marks at different stages of our lives is very common. Many times we associate it exclusively with pregnancy or obese people, but it is also very common for them to appear during adolescence.
In addition, its appearance usually causes a great aesthetic discomfort , which in this age of great transformation, is even more accentuated.
¿How are stretch marks?
Initially, the red stretch marks . They are linear, red or violaceous lesions that are noticeable to the touch and have a different texture than the surrounding skin. Sometimes they can sting a bit. Over time they lighten and fade, evolving into white stretch marks. These are usually less visible.
¿Why do stretch marks appear??
The location is variable , although it usually appears on the buttocks and lower back in boys and on the buttocks, thighs and breasts in girls
The specific cause is unknown , although we know that there are several factors that predispose them to appear, such as genetics or obesity. There are different theories that try to explain the formation of stretch marks: a mechanical stretching of the skin, hormonal changes or an innate alteration of the skin's structure.
In the context of adolescence we have two of these factors involved, rapid growth and hormonal changes. This sudden stretching of the body produces a distension of the skin and causes the breakdown of collagen and elastin, which are the elastic fibers that support our skin.
¿What treatment can I follow??
Hills important is undoubtedly the prevention . I recommend that all boys and girls approaching adolescence adopt the habit of moisturizing their skin.
There are multiple treatments: topical, laser treatments, chemical peels and microdermabrasion, light therapies... think that the stretch marks are just skin scars , so the treatment is a challenge for dermatologists.
For prevent and moisturize stretch marks during adolescence, a good option isBody Firming Cream by Masderm
My tips to avoid the appearance of stretch marks
- Maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly.
- Get into the habit of moisturizing your skin daily from before your puberty growth spurt. My recommendation would be to start no later than 10 years for girls and 12 years for boys. If your skin is hydrated, it will be more elastic and when this sudden stretching of the skin occurs, it will not be so easy to break.
- Moisturize the skin at least once a day, better if twice, ideally after bathing or showering.
- Make a gentle massage with the product. This will make the hydration more effective.
- Insist especially on the buttocks and lower back in boys and on the thighs, breasts and buttocks in girls.